According to an announcement by the Hellenic National Defence General Staff (HNDGS), the “POSEIDON’S RAGE 22” exercise started from 115 AM in Souda, where a number of F-35 and F-15 fighter jets have landed in order to participate in the drill with the Hellenic Armed Forces.
The Wrath of Poseidon exercise sends a clear message to Ankara, as the landing of the F-35s is aimed at presenting them to the Greek pilots and getting to know the future fighter aircraft of the Hellenic Air Force.
According to the HNDGS announcement:
“From Monday 11 to Wednesday 20 July 2022 and within the framework of the international activities planned, organized and coordinated by HNDGS, the Bilateral Interdisciplinary Joint Training of Greece and the USA will be held under the name “POSEIDON’S RAGE 22”, in various regions of the Greece.
During the LIVEX (Live Exercise) type Joint Training that is taking place for the second time in the context of the deepening of the Military Cooperation between the two countries, interdisciplinary operational scenarios of escalating intensity and complexity will be executed in a multiple threat environment such as below:
- Familiarization Flights.
- Basic Defense Maneuver flights.
- Combat training between different types of aircraft.
- Air combat.
- Low Altitude Shipping with Virtual Attacks of Surface Targets.
- Air support with terminal fire guidance (Joint Tactical Air Controller – JTAC).
- Offense – Support Naval Forces.
- Fire at the Shooting Range KARAVIA.
The Joint Training will be attended by Fighter Aircraft, Naval Units and JTAC Elements of the Special Warfare Command of the Greek Armed Forces and from the USA 10 F-35s and 14 F-15s that have been stationed at 115 AM in Souda with their support personnel.
It is noted that during POSEIDON’S RAGE 22, for the first time:
- Joint operational training developed of US 4th and 5th generation Fighter Aircraft.
- An entire Fighter Squadron deployed to another base.
- Training fires by F-35 Fighter Aircraft in the area of responsibility of USEUCOM (US European Command) were executed” concludes the announcement.