According to an announcement By Senator Bob Menendez, Following the US Senate Approval of the “National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA)” for the Fiscal Year 2022 (FY22), U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Menendez announced that he had succeeded in including to the NDAA “US-Greece Defense and Interparliamentary Partnership Act” which is now on its way to President Biden’s office to be signed as a US law.
What does this law offer for Greece?
According to Senator Menendez, “the bipartisan legislation, which was approved by the Committee on Foreign Relations of U.S. Senate, “It will significantly strengthen US support for Greek military modernization and enhance the increased multilateral commitment between Cyprus, Greece, Israel, and the United States.”
Specifically, Bob Menendez stated:
The enactment of the Law on Defense and Inter-Parliamentary Partnership USA-Greece 2021 is strong proof not only of the commitment of the Congress to strengthen our bilateral defense relationship and lasting ties with our Greek partners but also of our appreciation for the central role of Greece in ensuring regional security and economic prosperity. in the Eastern Mediterranean, “said Bob Menendez, chairman of the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
“As a lifelong supporter and strong supporter of the deep American ties with Greece, Cyprus, and Israel, I’m incredibly proud to see Congress take such a critical step in reaffirming 3 + 1 cooperation as the cradle of democracy and stability in the Eastern Mediterranean and as an invaluable alliance for the United States.”
What does the support of the Greek Military Modernization include:
- Encourages the use of the assistance of the European Recapitalization Incentive Program (ERIP) to support Greece’s transition away from Russian-made military equipment
- Boosts with $ 1.8 million annually the international military training of the Greek Armed Forces for five years 2022 – 2026
- Expresses the feeling of the Congress that the USA should provide direct loans to Greece for the supply of defense items, defense services, and design and construction services in accordance with the further development of the Greek military force.
- Expresses the feeling of the Congress that the President has the power to expedite the delivery of any future F-35 aircraft that will be ordered by Greece
The specific bill that is expected to be signed by the US President is expected to facilitate Greece to procure the F-35s, perhaps even directly from the USAF reserves.
The fifth-generation fighter jets have been mentioned several times by the Greek Minister of National Defense Nikos Panagiotopoulos as a very possible acquirement by Greece immediately after the F-16V & RAFALE F3R programs.
The Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a statement on this important move by the US Congress:
We welcome today the passage of the bill on the “Defense and Interparliamentary Partnership US-Greece”, which recognizes the strategic importance of our country as a pillar of stability in the region, the US commitment to the security & prosperity of Greece, and the utmost importance of the strategic cooperation between Greece and the USA.
We express our deepest gratitude for the passage of the bill, which proves the unique relationship between our two countries. We would like to express our deep gratitude for the bipartisan support it received, especially to the supporters of the bill in the US Senate, Senators R. Menendez & M.Rubio, as well as in the US House of Representatives, MPs T. Deutch & G. Bilirakis ” concludes the announcement of the Greek Foreign Minister Nikos Dendias.
GEOPOLITIKI.COM – Share the news with your friends!
* The translation may contain some errors, send us your corrections to the site’s email – Information from US Senator Menedez website and NEMESISHD.GR